Monday, April 16, 2012

what I'll miss & what I won't.

Some weeks ago I began compiling a list of things I'll miss and won't miss about living in Madagascar. I hesitate to post it now because I know these items will change and shift as I move through different phases of re-adjustment. Nonetheless, here's what I've got so far.

What I'll Miss.

Always being invited to sit and/or eat with people, no matter where or when.

Living in a culture where women's bodies are accepted as they are... here women love their bodies no matter what shape or size... and men love them that way too.

The relaxed, easy, passive way of conversation.

Having a secret language (English), in which you can say anything in front of people and they'll have no idea what you're saying.

Twice daily walks along a wooded path to a private beach; swimming in the sea whenever I feel like it.

Ravitutu: pounded cassava leaves cooked in coconut milk and mixed with fish.

A completely open schedule where I decide what I will do and how I will do it; a life free of numerous social restrictions such as traffic laws or drinking in public places.

Paying 50 cents for a delicious, nutritious meal.

Being famous just because I'm white and speak Malagasy; being afforded certain privileges just because I'm famous... like getting to sing right away after I turn in my song request at the karaoke bar.

Living in utter peace and living so close to the natural world; reliant on the sea and the seasons for food.

Abundant time for reading, writing, sleeping and thinking.

Having succulent tropical fruits available year round.

Walking barefoot or in flip-flops everyday.

Living next to an adorable six-year old who happily wants to do any of my chores or errands for me all the time. ("Lydia! Go buy me some tomatoes!"... and off goes a skipping, singing child, returning shortly with a handful of red, ripe tomatoes.)

What I Won't Miss.

Being stared at and heckled on the street incessantly.

The horrible, awful, repetetive, uninspiring noise (aka Malagasy music) that would blast in my village all hours of the day. (I only met one person who loved music from the north of Madagascar, and he was a visiting international spy so it doesn't count.)

Bad internet, terrible cell phone reception, unreliable technology in general, relying on pay-per-use phone credit to make calls or text.

Deep-fried white flour balls or white bread as the sole breakfast/ snack food options.

People thinking I'm French (no offense to all those great French people I know and love, I just wish Malagasy realised white people can come from places other than France).

Never having salad, olives, cheese or wine as a regular part of my life.

Waiting.. for any & everything.

Taxi-broussing as a sole means of transport, and all the pain and suffering therein.

Redundant conversation: I have probably talked about how I live in Ambolobozokely and speak Malagasy ten million times.

Being painfully bored. Feeling my mind atrophying.

4 comments:

  1. I love your list. I can feel both your pleasures and frustrations.
    love,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to miss your blog. I've read every post over the last two years, even have it bookmarked in my tool bar. I hope you keep it up through the readjustment phase. And I hope I get to see you sometime soon!

    Krista Maria-Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOT being able to randomly "sit with people" has to be one of my top pet peeves about American life. - mamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, so much experienced, learnt and appreciated. Madagascar, good and bad, is great for the soul. Re-enter slowly back into this hectic western world with happy memories in you head and the Malagasy sunshine in your heart. You're returning to a world where many people love you. Love, Matthew xx

    ReplyDelete