Thursday, April 5, 2012

one week left.

I wrote this in my journal yesterday in my village. I have one week left until I leave.

Rained hard last night- certainly one of the bigger deluges I've seen here. The morning is that soft, lovely quietness that I know I will miss terribly. The feel of sand & dewy leaves against my feet and legs on the walk to the coffee shack... the bitter, strong coffee in the smoky hut... sea either gusting or still as glass... Mama Tutu's sing-songy conversation and kind, gentle laugh... the palm trees glowing in the sun and birds of every kind chattering in the branches near & far... children crying and mothers calling for them, "Avia zanako avia!"... chickens scratching in the dirt & scraping up leaves under the mango trees... the haphazard buckets of rain water strewn about the yards. This is the simple way my day starts, the way my days have started for two years.

My heart begins to break as I think of leaving this place of peace and calm. In one week I will be gone, and since I recently had a couple weeks preview of "city life" in Diego, I know that just the change of pace to the bustle & noise of the city will be challenging enough.

It is with so many mixed emotions that I now live. Part of me cannot wait to begin life again. When I think of attending dance and yoga classes regularly, going to an actual job where I can contribute in a measurable and attainable manner and get paid and buy things, meeting up with friends for drinks and going to events that interest me, being able to hike, boat, rock climb, ski, cook and hang out with my family and friends regularly... all these components of "real life" excite me so much it seems I cannot wait another minute!

But I also want to take some of this place with me, to manifest some of the aspects of community, even-mindedness and patience that are such an integral part of life here. I know it is inevitable that I will struggle throughout the re-adjustment process back into my own culture: everyone says it's harder going back than it was coming here.

In any case, in the meantime, I am living through the last days in my village. Every moment, every interaction has become rich with a fleeting preciousness. It's a strange process too: conversation is always around my leaving, why I want to leave, what souvenirs I'll be giving away. Friends stop by to take things from my house, and I have to practice extreme caution because this causes jealousies and drama amongst the villagers. I have to give something to everyone it seems. It would be easier if I could just lock my house up when I leave with all my belongings inside and leave the keys with the president for him to deal with.

It seems I have nothing, but then I see the look in people's eyes as they gaze longingly at my bed, scissors,  clothes, baskets... they want it all. It is such a bizarre experience.

It's hard too to hear that people are glad I'm leaving or that others don't understand why I'm not staying longer. I've heard since day one that if I don't extend my service as Julia [the PCV before me] did, then I'm not tamana [well-settled]. It is impossible to explain what it means to miss home to a people that have largely never gone beyond the limits of northern Madagascar.

And then there is of course, living through the process of saying goodbye to little Lydia. Already my eyes have teared up a dozen times as she and I joke about how she'll hide in my luggage so I can bring her home, or when she says that she won't miss eating rice when she's in America. How do you say goodbye to a beautiful six-year old girl? How do you part ways with a child who's become one of your greatest friends and confidants?

I will find out in a week...

3 comments:

  1. I started to tear up when you talked about saying goodbye to little Lydia. You two definitely have something special, and I know that it will be hard for you. ~Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the transition goes well, Vanessa, with lots of peace and joy! Lydia will never forget the light you've brought into her world, and you'll never forget the light she's brought into yours.

    Can't wait to see you! Let me know when you'll be back in Montana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have lived an extraordinary past two years. You have gone to a world so different from the world you previously lived your life. Madagascar has changed you. And with this blog, you have allowed us to journey with you. To learn that what is important in life is the same world over. People gossip in the same language, and they love in the same language. I am grateful for your allowing us to live vicariously through you.

    You have friends and places to go visit just here in the USA... Do you know where you are going first? I ask because if you are traveling to NE, I will be there for the week of April 18th.

    Otherwise, your room is ready out here in Los Angeles.

    I pray your re entry is not too quick and you can enjoy the process....
    xoxoxoxo
    yr fairy godmother

    ReplyDelete