Wednesday, April 18, 2012

a blog about my blog.

Some of you have asked if I will continue to blog after I leave Madagascar. The answer is a resounding yes. Of the three goals of Peace Corps, keeping up with Goal Three (educating Americans on the part of the peoples served) through blogging has been, and will continue to be, a vital part of my life. Just as much as all of you have learned about the Malagasy culture during my time here, so shall we examine together some of the contrasts and comparisons as I return to the American culture.

Perhaps more importantly though is that this blog has become some sort of outlet for me. I write to process, write to stay present, write to understand the world around me. With that in mind, the journey back to the United States after two intense years in a developing country is going to be at best, overwhelming and at worst, terrifying... and probably everywhere inbetween too.

So stay tuned.

Which reminds me, who ARE all you people? Looking at my blog statistics over the last two years (yes, I'm a nerd) I have been amazed at the diversity of countries listed in my readership.

Here are the top ten countries represented for pageviews of my blog:

United States 7,637
Madagascar 1,149
Australia 279 (thanks Eleanor!)
United Kingdom 195
Canada 188
Russia 171
Germany 122
South Korea 70
France 57
Netherlands 47

How did you all stumble across my blog? Why are there so often pageviews from India, Taiwan, Iran, Ireland, Brazil, Israel? Who are you? What's your story? How are we connected? What have you taken away from this little corner of the world I occupy?

I've loved seeing so many countries represented over the last couple years; it has inspired me to keep my eyes open and my pen moving. That we are all connected across thousands & thousands of miles through writing is a beautiful thing.

So, thanks for reading, and please, leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am glad you will continue your blog as I just discovered it in the past 3 weeks. My son Evan is an education volunteer in Ambatondrazaka and I am going to see him in July in Mada. He does not blog much but we Skype so much it does not matter. Several years ago I traveled to Mali and Senegal for a month and the return to the San Francisco Bay area was surreal. For you, over two years in Madagascar as a PCV, will be interesting. I look forward to your posts.
    Dean Morier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who am I? Who are you???? Hope our paths cross again soon!

    Sara C formerly of the Oooootahs

    ReplyDelete