Sunday, April 15, 2012

gratitude.

As I look back on the last two years of my Peace Corps service in Madagascar, and consider how truly incredible it is that I made it through, I am overwhelmed by a sense of gratitude for all those in my life who made it possible.

No matter how much it may seem I acted with courage and tenacity born out of my own will, no matter how many times you thought to yourself you couldn't have dealt with what I have, regardless of your perceptions of my service, none of it could have been possible without you, dear friends and family. (And to all those readers worldwide that I don't know, pardon this sentimental posting.)

For everyone that sent me a care package, filled with Cheez-its, popcorn, dried fruit, colored pens & pencils, sunflower seeds, quinoa, nutritional yeast, kids toys, M&M's, Chocolove, coloring books, trail mix, Twiglets or any number of other wonderful treats: THANK YOU. You'll never know how akin to Christmas day it was opening up those thoughtful (though often melted and squished) packages.

To all those who sent love letters, ugly postcards or sweet, homemade cards filled with words of encouragement, photos, stickers, inspirational quotes, poetry... for those that emailed me, posted funny and/or inspirational bits on my Facebook wall, who left comments on my blog, sent expensive texts to strange numbers or withstood painfully bad Skype and/or phone connections... THANK YOU. It is impossible to tell you how each of these gestures, no matter how small they seemed to you, were hugely important to me. Each word compelled me to go on.

Most importantly, to my dearest family, without whom I could not have achieved this, or any other crazy endeavor of mine. For all of the support you gave through every means possible, for listening through my tears and uncertainties, for the medical support and thoughtful advice, for being flexible with absurd time zone challenges and for believing I could do this and encouraging me to try even when I didn't think I could, I can never fully thank you.

Lastly, even though I know they will never come across this blog, I need a place to publicly express the huge gratitude I have for my community. For welcoming a complete stranger from a bizarre foreign land into your hearts and homes, for always offering a place to sit, eat rice and talk, for bringing over food when you thought I was too skinny, for showing me how to slow down and appreciate the world, thank you. It has been an honor to be a part of your lives for two years, and I will always miss the simplicity and peacefulness you brought to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment