Sunday, January 30, 2011

robbed!

A couple nights ago I was mugged in Diego. I was walking home from the bar with a guy friend when out of absolutely nowhere a man came up from behind us, yanked on my purse with such force that the strap busted apart (though I still cannot understand how it broke, it was a thick nylon strap) and was gone in a flash. The entire event took all of ten seconds, from when he grabbed my purse off of me til his disappearance. He ran faster than anything I have ever seen.

Of course I immediately called out, "Mpangalatra! Vonjeo!" (Thief! Help!) and several Malagasy people in the street tried to run after him, but he was already gone. A few seconds later the skies opened up in a monsoonal rain, and I started crying. It was a very dramatic scene.

I lost some cash (not much), both my ID cards (but not my passport or the copy of my passport), my camera (with a memory card full of about 4,000 photos, most of which were backed up) and... my phone.

So, for all of you that send me texts (thank you thank you thank you) please note I have a new phone number. And keep those lifeline texts coming! They help me so much.

Here it is:
261 32 871 7074

2 comments:

  1. Oh V..I'm so sorry to hear of this...but YOU are intact unharmed and that is what matters most. At least to a mother...Sherma

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow could've been me for sure. thanks for takign one for the team. monica

    ReplyDelete