Tuesday, November 23, 2010

conversations. (or, my fat ass, part 2.)

It is exhausting to constantly be on display, never able to blend in to the crowd and go about my business like everybody else. When I walk down the path to buy a loaf of bread, everyone stops and watches me, then comments upon my return, loaf in hand: "Did you buy bread?" This type of rhetorical question used to literally drive me insane. I used to think: Can't you see?! Yes, I have the bread in my hand!

Now I know that it is just a pleasantry. I've taken to it well enough that now when I see someone washing dishes, my first greeting is, "Washing dishes?"

Even so, when I pass by a group of children playing, they cease all activity and stare relentlessly, greeting me over and over and over again, which is nice, but sometimes I am surprised at the level of excitement after seven months of seeing me walk by.

And then there's the whole openness about, well, my fat ass.
______________

(while drinking coffee, many people sitting around/ milling about)

me to coffee lady: I like your skirt!
coffee lady: You like my skirt? It would be nicer on you, because I am old and my butt is big.
man sitting nearby: Vanessa has a big butt and a nice body.
coffee lady: Yeah she does. Her clothes are nice and her butt is good. Very big!
woman across the street: Vanessa has a nice body, her butt is big, her arms and legs are strong!
(more people look, join in, make comments)
me: umm... yeah... ummm...
__________________

(while sitting around outside a community building the other day)

person 1: Vanessa is getting skinny!
person 2: Yes, she doesn't eat enough rice!
person 1: When she got here, she was big!
person 3: She was very big! How long have you been here, Vanessa?
me: Seven months in Ambolobozokely, nine months in Madagascar.
person 1: You were big when you first got here, now you are getting small.
me: I am not getting small. I am bigger now than I was in America.
person 2: No, it's because you don't eat enough rice.
person 3: No, it's because she was sick.
me: No, I'm not getting smaller! I eat a lot of rice!
person 1: You are a liar.
me: ok...
_______________

(while walking in the forest collecting seed pods, we pass some women)

woman I've never met or spoken to before: You have a good body.
me: Ummm... thanks. What is your name?
woman: Your butt is big, your stomach is small.
me: Ummm.. yeah...
woman: My butt is big too, but I have a fat stomach. I am a fat person.
me: ummm...
_______________

I tried to remain true to the translation of these conversations to the best of my ability, while taking into account that I still don't speak Malagasy very well.

In case you hadn't checked out Part One of this saga, here's the link:
http://vinmadagascar.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-fat-ass.html

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa. This is hilarious and sad and moving - and highly reminiscent (for me). El Salvador was the same way. I still think about it all the time. Some contrasts against our culture become more tolerable, but never very normal to us. Hugs. Amelia

    ReplyDelete