Saturday, May 29, 2010

words i love.

some malagasy words are just plain fun to say, if you can say them, that is.
here's a small sampling.

mitsangatsangana- to walk or wander. everyday, as i meander around my village, someone asks me, "ehh... mitsangatsangana?" yep, just wandering around.

mitkitkitki- to touch. essential to know, for when traveling on crowded bush taxis, one must be able to say clearly, "k'aza mitkitkitki!" ("don't touch me!")

madinky- small. i think it's funny.

ravoravo- happy, glad. like a lot of other malagasy words, "ravoravo" can mean so many different things, it just depends on the context.

adaladala- crazy, weird. i like to make jokes about me being "adaladala" when i do weird things, like take my coffee black.

ladosy- to bathe. remember, o's are pronounced "ooh" in malagasy.

posspossy- a cart pulled by a person. just "possy" alone means "to push."

mahafantatra- to meet. this word used to trip me up a lot when i first moved here. unfortunately, you have to say it a lot, because when you meet someone, you say, "faly mahafantatra anao!" ("happy to meet you!")

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful are these words! I love your new blog updates V. I just want to hear your voice speaking Malagasy, that would make my day. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That can be arranged, Eleanor. You just have to call me, and I promise, I won't speak a word of English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I first discovered an excerpt from your blogs in one malagasy daily paper. So I was curious and went on the internet to read more...

    And I am glad to read these mlg words you love... how you feel them, how you understand them, how you use them.

    I was particularly amused to read that you know the expression "aza mikitikitiky"! LOL. I thought they tought you how to greet people in a formal way, and say thanks... so I am surprised and amused to know that you are able to survive in crowded bush taxis!!

    Lala ANDRIANISA

    ReplyDelete