Friday, May 7, 2010

lists.

i wrote the following in my journal back on march 20th.

malagasy food i love:
-mofo akondro (fried banana). but it's so bad for me. but i can't stop eating them.
-all the different bean dishes my host mom makes\
-caroty and cocombre salads with lots of vinagre
-mofo gasy with voanjo (malagasy fried bread cakes with peanuts)- yum.
-manasy (pineapple). to die for, sweet and juicy.
-ananas (bitter greens, akin to chard).
-atody with tomatoes, peppers and onion. the eggs here taste better than any egg in the states.

malagasy food i don't love:
-mofo de pain- like wonderbread, but stale and hard.
-mofo de pain, fried, in lots and lots of oil.
-trondo (fish)- my sister catches these little fish the size of my thumb. lots of bones, and fried in so much oil it's more like a fish cracker.
-paty or other "american" dishes my mom makes (pasta).
-sort of corn porridge. meh.

things that i enjoy:
-the weather; rain, sun, warm
-walking around village at dusk or dawn
-learning, studying, discovering daily
-the people here, incredibly kind and patient
-having healthy intestines
-time at the training center to shower and relax away from village life
-walking everywhere

i don't enjoy:
-not being in control of what i eat
-not being able to communicate with my family better
-feeling so uncertain of what is acceptable behavior/ dress
-my moldy, crumbly room
-not having alone time

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your reports from Ambolobozokely. I'm your predecessor's mom....and I visited Julia in 2007. The whole country is an amazing place. Vanessa's Dad, I can help you with GoogleEarth to locate the village. I also have pictures in my Picasa photo albums. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great lists. I see it and feel it. Thanks for sharing. I am sending you a letter...
    Love,Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. With each word you write, I experience their physical representations. As usual, one can taste your words, breathe them in and assimilate what they symbolize.

    You amaze me as always, V. I treasure you more than you may realize.

    Besides, Cheezits, would you prefer dark chocolate to milk?

    Sherma

    ReplyDelete
  4. you must have some very very happy chickens to have such delicious eggs...

    ReplyDelete