Sunday, February 28, 2010

jitters or lack thereof.

After what seemed like a full month of packing and preparing for my African departure, I finally left behind the comforts of home this Thursday. With many a tearful farewell to my family in New Hampshire, I was happy to arrive into the welcoming arms of friends in Washington DC. Staying in DC for the last few days catching up with dear friends and luxuriating in various relaxing activities has been so good for me.

Friday, Evelyn and I went to a lovely noontime yoga flow class followed by a most wonderful massage. The combination of the two put me in such a peaceful state of bliss. It's great to be in the city too, with all the culture, rhythm, energy and wonderful places to eat & drink! Indeed, Friday night it was such a pleasure to enjoy a leisurely glass of wine at the hookah bar with a friend from Montana who just recently moved to the DC area on Friday night. After that, we met up with Evelyn and her new fiance to celebrate their engagement at a nice little restaurant in the Adam's Morgan district of DC.

And joy of all joys, my very dear friend Jenna arrived on Saturday morning for a quick 24-hour visit! Continuing with the luxurious theme of the previous day, we spent the afternoon at a mini-spa called "Mint," where we sweated out our impurities in the steam room and sauna, and enjoyed (you guessed it) mint-flavored water and mint-scented lotions and shampoos. The whole experience left all of us practically floating down the street to a small wine & cheese shop, where we picked up provisions for a nice ladies night at Evelyn's apartment.

All the while, I have felt nothing but calm and relaxed leading up to my departure to Madagascar these last few days. I had anticipated feeling jittery and nervous and scared, but have been pleasantly surprised to feel such a sense of readiness. I see this as a good sign that I am in the right space. However, in just a few hours, I make my way across the city to the Peace Corps orientation, where I will meet the other 20-someodd Environmental & Small Business Development volunteers who will be serving in Madagascar, and I think that is when the full weight of reality will start to sink in. This afternoon we'll spend about five hours learning about basic expectations and going through medical & legal paperwork, spend the night at the hotel, and depart for the airport tomorrow afternoon.

The flight from DC to Johannesburg will take about 18 hours. We layover there and then it's just a quick 5 more hours the next day to our final destination in Antananarivo, the capital of Madagascar. And while I have plenty of long-distance flights under my belt, I imagine the combination of being cooped up with jitters and excitement will have me feeling a little antsy by the time we arrive. Upon arrival, I'm meant to have a brief job interview and get placed with our host family that I'll be staying with for the next three months.

So for now, I'm enjoying the last couple hours of my life as a free entity, before I become an official government worker, listening to some blues and sipping on coffee in a little sunny apartment in Washington DC. With a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

3 comments:

  1. Hello darlin'. What a fabulous send off you have had. (I just tried calling your cell...but couldn't get thru. I imagine you've disconnected service. Duh!)

    Love you and I wish you Bon Voyage.

    Sherma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Vee, so glad you girls had such a lovely relaxing time before your adventure. Thanks for skyping/calling, though I wish I could have seen your faces! Am thinking of you and all the wonderful things that lie ahead.

    Lots of love,

    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful way to depart. You have a huge fan club back here in the states cheering you on. Love you tons and I look forward to the good reads!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete