Tuesday, June 12, 2012

open letter to america.

Dear America,

I've written you a letter. I've been back here for one month, and have a few things to comment on.

America, I know why you're fat. You're sold more than you could possibly ever need, and made to believe, through media force-feeding, that what you need will never be what you actually have. America! Land of the free chips with your drink, unlimited bread and butter, 20% more for free if you order an "extra value" meal. You have to withstand at least four sales pitches for over-sized muffins, cookies or whipped cream to order a cup of coffee. I've ordered ice cream twice in this country since I've been back. Twice, I've asked for a "kid-size," and been presented with massive, double-scoops of ice cream, piled high inside my bowl. Should I complain? Do I have any obligation to feel guilty for the excess? I just wanted the littlest scoop... I don't really like ice cream, nor being obese. I asked if I could please just get a "kiddie" size, or if they could just take some out of the bowl before I take it, and both times was adamantly refused.  Well, nobody likes to say no to food. Especially not Americans.


Dear America, you're so sparkly and shiny. Your restaurants are lessons in efficiency and cleanliness beyond any sense of the imagination. Your gigantic grocery stores resemble hospitals. You never have to smell the meat or fish or chicken that you buy, nor see that it actually comes from a once-living animal, because all that blood and death happens behind closed doors and comes out in pristine, sterilized packages. You are never faced with humanity's grotesque scents, with the reality that we exist in a living, dying world. Your public toilets are cleaned hourly (and don't forget you can complain to management if there's a problem!) and are stocked with soap that squirts out automatically and paper that comes out with the magical wave of a hand. To have a fly in your restaurant is a disgrace. You are mortified by any potential for a public health hazard, while the rest of the developing world endures disease-carrying insects, filthy produce and questionable water as a daily part of life. Dirty dishes? Washed, sanitized and dried in minutes. Sometimes, I'd tell women in my village (who scrub dishes for hours everyday) about these miraculous machines called "dishwashers." They never believed me.

You smell damn good, America. We all wear deodorant; in fact, most of us wear something to prevent us from the horror of sweating at all. We have machines that wash our clothes with the click of a button. To have clean, fresh-smelling clothes takes the amount of effort it takes to carry your dirty clothes to the machine, which for most of us, is INSIDE our incredible, perfectly comfortable houses! Click: clean. Your public bathrooms are spritzed automatically with scented chemicals; floors and sinks cared for regularly. You can have your seat warmed, the air in your car, home or office at the exact temperature of your desiring; you can ask your server at the restaurant to turn the air conditioning up if you're feeling a little warm or ask your flight attendant for a blanket if your poor ankles are cold. America, you do not know discomfort. Trust me, you do not know discomfort.

America, your children complain too much. I recently heard 11-year old children here whining they had nothing to do!-- with more toys, games, music, computers, televisions, iphones, ipods, itouches, ipads, food, candy, movies, books and sports equipment to entertain them than any child in my village will ever see (or imagine) in their entire lifetime. I spent two years watching hundreds of children share a single broken bicycle- or play soccer in a dirt field with a makeshift ball made of random bits of plastic bags and rubber bands- with not a peep of complaining. In fact, the children there were more delighted and grateful than any I've seen in the US, with all its endless gadgets to occupy and placate our children.


Your adults are no better, America. You complain about leg room when there's more than enough space for at least five more people to sit in your aisle, two babies on your lap, ten chickens at your feet, a sack of potatoes under your bum and a few goats above your head. You whine about the price of gas while forgetting the absolute luxury of owning your own vehicle and the level of quality and perfection in the roads you get to drive. More importantly, you could SO easily carpool, take public transit or (heaven forbid you exercise), bike or walk to your destination. You complain about traffic but insist on driving yourself; you want bigger highways instead of focusing on improving public transportation or building light rail. You complain about the taste of your water, and insist on buying bottled water when you have some of the safest water in the world. While so many other people on the planet suffer through unimaginable lengths just for the basic human right for access to clean drinking water, you spend top dollar on something that truly, miraculously, comes flowing right to your own homes.

Dear America, your customer service rocks. Someone comes to your table, asks you what you want to eat and drink from an incredible plethora of food options, brings you what you want almost instantaneously and continuously checks on your every need & desire without (too much) prompting. I suggest you go to Africa if you'd like to spend an afternoon waving down a waitress who sulks at you, and a half an hour later, may decide to bring you a menu if she feels like it, only to tell you the kitchen closed a while ago, or that they're out of everything on the menu. You'll then be served warm beer, and be made to feel you're putting everyone out to ask for a glass, or at least a few stale peanuts. America, give your waitstaff the tips they deserve; they rock your world, and you know it.

America, the beautiful. Your streets are clean, your parks pristine, your landscapes vast and diverse. The complexity of flora & fauna that live in your mountains, rivers, deserts and glaciers are breathtaking, and the fact that so many of these animals and the places they call home are protected by people fighting to save them, is inspiring. You have so much beauty, so many open, wild spaces; a pride in your towns, cities, gardens and parks. People care about this country and it shows, no matter what your political or geographical persuasion.


But one last thing, America. This really bothers me: you just don't share. When a friend of mine & I sat down at a crowded pub a month ago, and had to sit at the only two empty seats in the place, the man eating at the table didn't give the obligatory karibo to welcome us! I was shocked. And then surprised by my shock. I couldn't believe how engrained this Malagasy cultural tradition has become in me, and how much I miss its absence in American culture. Why don't we invite people to join us? Why cultivate this "every-man-for-himself" mentality? I want to karibo everyone I see when I'm eating or drinking! -- and I feel people are rude when they don't do the same to me. Likeiwse, I saw a couple kids argue over who would get to eat an entire bag of cotton candy last week. This brought to mind innumerable moments in my village, when I saw small children splitting up the tiniest treats amongst themselves, such as a single peanut, or a half a mango. Karibo. I miss saying it, I miss meaning it, I miss hearing it. So, I welcome you anytime, America, and also thank you for taking me back into your big, albeit insane, arms.


9 comments:

  1. The more you have the harder to share. Wanna play "Monopoly",anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! If only people could really understand how amazing it is to give a child a square of chocolate and watch them split it in half to share with his zandry. To be karibo'd by people who are already making the kabaka feed more than you would think it could. To hold someone else's child on your lap during a brousse trip because they already have one plus a basket on theirs. To then be puked on by said child.

    On the other hand, to show Malagasies that a little pride and extra effort can creat clean, beautiful cities. Teach them that by helping each other they can achieve more, instead of constantly "sabotaging" progress.

    I can't wait to come home and I'm nervous about coming home, and sad to leave this beautiful, crazy, conflicted island. Aaaaahhh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read this blog I can’t tell if this is a slam, an observation, or just simple comments. However, the tone sounds somewhat sour – in my humble opinion – and so I offer the following as food for thought…

    Are we fat? Yes, there are many overweight people in the U.S, but we are also one of the healthiest in the world thanks to our food, water and hygiene standards. Yes, we are a land of plenty, we are clean, pleasant smelling, and our children have a great quality of life and a multitude of opportunities, and we enjoy excellent service and amazing technology – all the fruits of our labors and our love of liberty. We are the shining city upon a hill.

    You say – “America, you just don’t share”… that it’s “every-man-for-himself”? I submit this as a contrast - from a posting on The Huffington Post on 12/20/2011: World Giving Index: US Ranked Most Charitable Country On Earth. See this link for the full details of the story - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/19/world-giving-index-us-ran_n_1159562.html

    We do welcome you back, as well as the millions of others around the world who have immigrated here other the years to find a better life and live the American Dream.

    I have missed you like you'll never know, and have missed your thoughtful and insightful conversations about the world and our place in it.

    Thank you for your service in the Peace Corps and for working to help the poor people of the island. Hopefully, they have learned from your example of care and concern, your hard work and dedication, your unselfish acts of devotion and charity, your love and kindness and for being an amazing model of what an American, a real American, is truly like.

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this reminder of the tarnished life which is so easily forgotten.
    Yes, we've conquered the mechanical, but have lost sight of the spiritual connection of community during that plight. To make up for it we develop the biggest welfare program anywhere, extend it upon our borders to programs like the one you're in and countless other "Aid" programs, then miss the most basic needs of our own aging and poor, and ban any public study of spirit.
    Thank you for the reminder to appreciate what I have, as here, amongst the abundant and the blind, I have the choice, and the chance to change at will.
    Welcome back. Please join me at my table and share your story and a meal. Oh, and would you like fries with that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting insight into a country which I know very little about, save the skewed messages that get beamed from Hollywood. The Americans I have had the pleasure of meeting on my travels have all been very well rounded, educated and enlightening individuals.

    Having lived and worked for a number of years in different developing nations since the age of 18 I can sympathise with your thoughts, as many others surely can. One thing that I noticed changing each time I returned home was that my feelings towards my own nation became increasingly positive. I freely admit that the English have had plenty of reasons to hang their heads in shame over the centuries, but there are also many positive elements to our culture and society. Yes there are people that take for granted all they have, there always will be, but there are also a great many individuals living inspirational selfless lives(such as yourself)who are having enriching impact our species all around the world, we must never lose site of this amidst our hectic modern lives.

    There is much that each nation can learn from each other, if only all of us were as perceptive and eloquent as expressing their thoughts and feelings as you. If only every forum could result in a positive and forward looking dialogue. Madagascar has it's own problems; children may not be arguing over a bag of candy floss, but there are parents that have no qualms sending their young daughters out onto the street meet rich white men and bring home money. Obviously the socio-economics differ vastly, but morals certainly don't. I met countless economically challenged families that love and cherish their daughters beyond the monetary benefits they can reap from them. We, us, society, should focus upon the positive side of life and not dwell too long upon that which is negative. Life will never be perfect, let us learn from our mistakes, and the mistakes of those around us and work towards a positive change.

    Good luck in America, ensure you see every part of life's enchanting picture (I know you will), and spread the the gift of Karibo (it may just take America by storm)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain of adjustment back into living in this world that is so starkly different than where you just spent 2 of your years. However, I hope you do not forget where it is you came from, from where you were able to cultivate this contrast. Yes, we Americans may live in a land of plenty and within a society and culture of privilege, but America did not start this way. While we may not be so charming in the Northeast, the rest of the country is alarmingly welcoming and values and experiences differ among not only states, but strata. Yes, we are not perfect, and yes, many of us can be gluttonous, insane, and selfish...but generalizing an entire society based on McDonald's ads and supermarket sales is unfair - and, hypocritical. Be proud of what you have learned, what you have experienced, and put it to good use. Bitterness is not becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting post. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your letter Vanessa. You are so right that those of us who live in such wonderful wealth and diversity of what we have in America, often forget to be grateful and often take for granted things that are unbelievable to many other peoples of the world (like dishwashers). We all could use more gratitude - both for the 'stuff' that we have, but also for each other, our fellow Americans, our community....
    love,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vanessa, I fully appreciate everything you have said. I know how correct you are, but as a selfish American, I don't know how (or perhaps don't want) to change. I am extremely poor, per America's standards, but I know that someone in Africa may love to have what I have. I wish that I didn't live in such a greedy nation, but I know that I will never do anything about it. I am proud of you, the things you have learned and the lessons you have to teach. I only hope that your message can be learned. Thank you for being you and hopefully making a difference to many people opinion many places.
    Your Childhood Friend,
    Michelle Plessner Duguay

    ReplyDelete