Saturday, March 10, 2012

breakdown of a break in.

11:48PM: Wake up to an odd sound in my house; think it's just the cat. Look at my ipod to check the time. Fall back asleep.

12:40AM: Startled awake by another sound... think it's just the deluge of rain outside. Reach for my ipod to check the time again, but it's gone. Search everywhere. Shake out sheets, pillows, check under the mattress. Repeat this process a dozen times. Did my cat eat my ipod? Did I? Where the hell did it go?

12:52AM: Hear a clunk. Quickly turn on my head lamp and hear someone run out around my house. Heart pounding, frozen in bed. Cannot make myself check outside.

3:00AM: Fall back asleep. Nightmare about break-in.

6:15AM: Wake up. Window is open, lock has been fiddled with, bare footprints under the window in the mud. My ipod is gone. Someone reached under my mosquito net in the night and took the ipod that was next to my sleeping head.

7:05AM: Call Peace Corps. I don't feel safe to stay in my village, and Peace Corps supports this fully. Village president and small group of people gather around to discuss. Begin packing my bags.

11:30AM: Bike out of my village. Will return with Peace Corps van to collect the rest of my belongings later.

Everything right now is uncertain as far as what I will do from here. I had five weeks left to go in my village, but now I'm not sure if I'll be returning for any amount of time. There are still so many goodbyes to be had, things left up in the air, people that I want to thank who have helped me so much over the last two years.

I think I made the right decision in leaving because I didn't feel safe. But with such an abrupt ending, I long for some sort of closure. More updates in the weeks to come.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, this sounds intense! sucks! Sorry to hear this.

    ReplyDelete