Sunday, January 15, 2012

do rainbows really kill?


It was a peaceful early morning in my tiny coastal village. Coconut trees sparkled with dew against a dark gray backdrop of last night’s rain clouds as they moved westward away from the sea. Ripe mangoes drop from their branches constantly during these languid days; often their kerplunk! on my rooftop startles me out of a sound sleep. Since I’d woken earlier than most of the village I was able to enjoy a moment of precious solitude as I stood in the sandy path I walk every morning to a nearby coffee shack.

As I approached the seaside shanty, smoke wafting from the small woodfires burning under the blackened pots of coffee, tea and soup, I turned to gaze once more at the brilliant sky, where the sun was rising over the glass-like sea and lighting up each raindrop on every branch and flower.

Suddenly I noticed a glorious rainbow stretching across the entire sky; just as I took note of it, a couple children walked past me.

“Look at that!” I implored them, pointing to the rainbow and asking what it’s called in Malagasy, since it’s one of the many words I can never seem to remember. “Isn’t that nice?” I asked, altogether forgetting what I’ve heard before about Malagasy people: they do NOT like rainbows. At all.

The older of the children looked at me as if I had three heads, which is actually a look I’ve become quite used to; my presence is an endless source of amazement and often horror in children (and adults) wherever I go.

“No… it’s not nice… rainbows kill people!” the poor child retorted.

 “Really? How do they do that?” I asked, half smiling. Malagasy aren’t too good at answering “how” questions- something either is or it isn’t and that’s all there is to it.

“When a rainbow goes down to the ground, it kills,” the child said matter-of-factly, and taking hold of her little sister’s hand, moved on down the path.

Moments later, I sat drinking coffee in the smoky shack, staring out at the same seascape I’ve watched most mornings for almost two years, wondering if it’s true: do rainbows really kill people?

Well, why not? We go around saying there’s a miniature Irish man in green pants dancing around a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow. I’d like to know what a Malagasy person thinks of our folktale about rainbows. Maybe it’s true… the leprechaun kills whoever gets too close to his pot of gold.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a malagasy and never heard of this belief of rainbow killing anyone! guess it's not in my part of the country! I'm quite sympathetic with all your trouble and hope that u'll have better memories of the island in the future. cheers

    ReplyDelete