Sunday, July 3, 2011

happy independence day.

My friend Bri standing proud next to a statue of Madagascar painted with the Malagasy flag.





June 26th marked Madagascar's 51st year of independence. I spent the holiday weekend dancing and partying with my villagers. How do you know it's a big holiday in a rural village in Madagascar? People run around all morning long chasing chickens. For a community that eats fish (and rice of course) three times a day and lives off what they catch from the sea, eating a chicken is a pretty special deal. Everyone gets out of their dirty rags and puts on their finest attire, eats some chicken & rice and dances to accordian club jams blasting at the loudest possible decibel until the early dawn.




A pic of me and my best friend Chantaly on Madagascar's Independence day, 26th June.

No comments:

Post a Comment