Monday, March 7, 2011

one year.

I have now been living in Madagascar for over a year, as of March 3rd. There is still over a year left of my Peace Corps service, set to end in May 2012.

My one year anniversary offers a bit of time for reflection. It's gone by both incredibly fast and painfully slow, depending on the day or sometimes the hour. One thing I've learned about this experience is just to hang on through the rollercoaster of ups and downs; even during the worst times here, the smallest pleasure can turn everything around.

Do I like living here now that I'm a little more used to things? Not always, but the feeling of contentment is much higher than it used to be. Do I both dread and live for the feeling of stepping off the plane into the chaos and ease that is America? Constantly, so much so that I do not know which universe I belong in anymore, here or there. Do I think I should speak the Malagasy language better, more thoroughly understand the Malagasy culture, be more accepted and less stared at? Daily. But I have to recognize the accomplishments I've made in these areas or else I will lose my mind.

What I am experiencing increasingly here as my time passes is an acceptance of what I can stand. My patience during unpredictable and frustrating situations grows exponentially. So has a unhealthy level of apathy. Or maybe it's actually more an ability to truly appreciate joy born out of the simple life.

They say year two of Peace Corps service is fun and fast, surreal and fleeting. And so the sojourn continues...

2 comments:

  1. Vanessa,

    I was an PCV in Mada in that little dusty town south of you known as Antoshihy from 98 to 00. I completely empathize with how you feel now. I would say to push on, and do something you will be proud of. They say the first year you are just getting your feet wet, the second year you figure out what you are doing, and the third year(if you stay) is when you get stuff done. Once you are back here it is all about you, god money, paying bills, and so on. So, enjoy and use this one chance you have. Nothing changes back here in home, so don't miss it.

    Christopher Cole
    ravitoto@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you. You've had such an incredible journey thus far and am eager to follow the ups and downs through year two. All lovE

    ReplyDelete